Tuesday, November 4, 2008

With President-Elect Obama, history is made


Tonight I saw something that I never thought I would see happen in my lifetime.  America has elected a black man to be our president.  It has been an amazing campaign that saw him defeat Hillary in one of the closest primary elections in recent memory.  He grabbed it right out of Hillary's hand in fact, defying the political machine and jumping his place in line.  And with his victory over McCain, Obama has defeated a great man, someone who I have always admired and respected, and who should have been our president in 2000.  

This is an incredible step forward for the evolution of our culture and race relations, Only 143 years ago black people were slaves in the south, then indentured servants, thought of as sub-human, and now fast forward to 2008 and we have Obama who is now the most powerful man in the world.  I can't believe it actually happened.  In fact Tasha and the boys came home from Awana at about 7:55, and I knew the networks would make the call right at 8 o'clock.  I told the boys to remember this moment as we watched Wolf Blitzer call it just after 8...

Congratulations to President-Elect Obama!!


4 comments:

Baptist_Mike_in_Utah said...

Wow,Garrett.
Surprised you never thought you would see this day come. That is a bit of a stretch.
As for race relations, I am not sure it will help at all.
I am not a fan of his policy, and not optomistic about what will come but I hope he is the best President of my life for this country.
I am not one that hopes the country goes to hell in a hand basket (Jimmy Carter style) just to have a GOP guy get it in 2012.

Grandma Dee said...

How wonderful that the four of you got to witness this as a family. It is truly a day that I will always remember. How beautiful it was to see people of all color standing together in Grant Park celebrating the election of a man of color to be president of the United States. Among others, I especially thought of 2 men who would have loved this: Abraham Lincoln and Tim Russert. What a great day!
Love,
Denise

dole2obama said...

Garrett-
As usual, you are correct in your political analysis. This was an unbelievable day in the history of our great nation. Obama campaigned with class and decency and he won! He never smeared his opponent, he never lied to the public, and he always conducted himself with class and grace. How could this election not help race relations? You have the living embodiment of the American dream in our President. God Bless the USA!

Sandy said...

Garrett, You said it all!

I am so glad all of you were together to watch this historic event. Kevin, especailly will remember this evening.

Congratulations to president-elect Obama.
Love Sandy and Joe