Friday, July 27, 2012

Im voting for Obama, but does it really matter? Really?

On the advice of brother Matt I read a great book by the author Matt Taibbi, in which one of the thesis was "no matter who wins a presidential election, "it doesn't really matter that much"  That was one of those moments where everything clicked for me.  I hold a Bachelors Degree in Political Science, but 16 years after earning that degree, I now sit back, and enjoy the entertainment.  Whether Romney or Obama win, my life will not change, hardly a single iota.  Both the democrat and republican party are beholden to the same special interests, and there isn't that much that can change.  So why do I even care?

Everything in presidential politics is a crapshoot, heck John Roberts a (W nominee) upheld so called Obama Care as constitutional , he is the David Souter, or Earl Warren of our time.  So here's why I am for the second presidential election voting for the democratic ticket:  I'm an off the charts social liberal, I hate abortion, and want to find ways to reduce unwanted pregnancy, but I'm pro choice.  I am pro Euthanasia, and think that Dr. Jack Kevorkian was a good man.  I am all for Gay Rights and I believe that same sex couples should be allowed to be married.


This Guy?  


Or this guy?  (Who knows?  it doesn't really matter that much!)



But, I am a moderate fiscal conservative, yes I  am for an extension of the Bush Tax Cuts, but I would absolutely pay an extra five, heck even ten thousand more per year if we had universal single payer healthcare, and the rest of it could go to rebuild our infrastructure.  Lets double the lanes on our freeways here in So Cal!  So Barack Obama has a better chance of doing that, but folks I am not holding my breath!  

3 comments:

dole2obama said...

Big guy-
I agree with you that in regards to daily living it really does not matter as the brilliant Taibbi stated. However, it does matter in terms of foreign policy and spending billions of our dollars to invade and occupy two foreign countries. Perhaps if our leaders had a little bit more wisdom, patience, or understanding of geopolitics we would not suffer the horrific loss of life and thousands of wounded soldiers. The staggering debt that was used to fund two foreign wars is the ticking time bomb that could cripple our economy.
"At this time, we have no doubt that Saddam Hussein is harboring weapons of mass destruction. "
"We will be greeted as liberators by the people of Iraq."
-Dick (5 deferments) Cheney 2002

Brett said...

Gar, I basically agree with the heart of the post. I don't think there will be a big difference either way. And, not to nit pic with your brother, I am not convinced that it will have a large effect on foreign policy and the spending of billions on un-needed and unconstituional wars. I have not seen a dramatic decrease in foreign activity or spending in the last 3 1/2 years that I hoped we would.

That being said, I do think we could see a presidential election that could make a big difference, but this isn't it. It has been a long time since we have had two candidates that are different enough to make that kind of difference. I had a hard time telling McCain and Obama apart. I really can't tell our current president apart from Gov. Romney.

I personally haven't decided what I am going to do, or how I am going to vote. But it may be, to quote the great political philosopher, Richard Preyer, "none of the above!"

Thanks for the post. Sounds like an interesting book.

B

The National Crackpot said...

I agree that there isn't too much difference if you set Dole, McCain, Clinton, Kerry, Bush I and even Bush II side by side. But Obama?Considering that he still thinks the Muslims will love him, his ignorance is astounding. I have been as guilty as anyone of hoping a president will come along and "save us", but right now I'll settle for someone who can just handle the "executive" branch. That ain't our current prez. Regards.