Saturday, January 30, 2010

Grabbaggar a Kindle Blog?

Yes folks I have filled out the necessary information and Amazon is in the process of their final approval process, with that I could be a "published" blog on the amazing kindle device....while we all hold our collective breaths I want to say a few more words about the e-reader revolution and what could happen with the Ipad being the strongest competition yet. I don't know much about many things, but Kindles and Apple Gadgets are the greatest thing ever and they are now going to fight it out for e-reader dominance and yes I am pretty much an expert in this topic. So here we go....

No matter how great the Ipad is, it lacks one critical component that if present would have destroyed the Kindle without any doubt.....what Ipad lacks is "e-ink" Apples display is amazing, crisp, in color, the interface is mindblowing, the touch screen interaction is second to none, you can read in potrait or landscape, you can read it at night, the screen is 2.5 times larger, you can change the font style ( I predict amazon will have this in a few weeks) And of course it displays all the standard docs, word, .pdf, etc in brilliant color, while the Kindle is only in black and white........BUT.....its display is backlit LED which is not as good of a pure reading experience as devices like Kindle with the e-ink technology.....Kindle text is redrawn with each page turn and looks like a piece of paper, the Ipad doesn't have this. So an interesting thing is going to happen folks....Kindle's license lets you have 5 device on one account, so I think I will mostly be utilizing the amazon store and then when I am out, read on my iphone through the Kindle App, when I am home, do my reading still with the Kindle, but if I want to I can switch to the Ipad with the forthcoming amazon app......Apple is still happy if you buy with the amazon app through their device they take their standard 30% like they do with all apps.....So I told Brett that the Kindle is probably dead, but folks I am not so sure, I think for pure reading the Kindle defeats the IPad, but it is very close.

If you don't have a Kindle I encourage you to go to www.amazon.com and watch some of the videos that talk about why most Kindle users (including me) now opine that it is actually better then a book, and allows you to read faster, read more, and read and discover books you wouldn't normally read. Books are cheaper, better, and have no negative impact on the enviornment...

BTW technically once I am accepted into the Kindle Blogosphere one must pay .99 cents per month to subscribe to my blog......or any other blog on there. So please tell a thousand of your friends and I'll make like 700 bucks! Ya right

14 comments:

Brett said...

That is pretty cool... I might even pay .99 to do what I can do for free on my computer... we'll see... :)

I agree that the e-ink would have been a knock out blow, but I really have no idea how the iPad could pull it off with the capacitative screen. But what do I know?

I, too, love the Kindle. I prefer using it to books. I even use Calibre to change electronic files into Kindle files so that I can read them on my Kindle.

It will be interesting to see if the Kindle dies, evolves or triumphs in this battle for the reader.... or maybe the Nook wins.... okay I couldn't say it with a straight face...

Let Freedom Ring said...

How awesome about your, most likely be accepted to have a Kindle blog posted. I would pay the .99 and check it out. Perhaps that would get me into reading again. I am the only one in the family that is not an avid reader like all of you. One of these days I will have to check out the Kindle or Ipad. Very informative insight into both. I heard alot of people were complaining about the name Ipad. They thought there could have been a better name for it. How could anyone question the computer genious on any decision he makes, crazy.

Love ya, Susan

Brett said...

Okay... So I just signed up for my complimentary 15 day trial subscription to the Grab Bag on Kindle. But Mr. Man, first it costs $1.99 a month not $.99 and... You can't comment from your kindle... That's a bummer.

But still it's pretty cool. Oh and don't think I missed the irony that the first post I read on my Kindle was that the Kindle's days are numbered.

Paula said...

Technology amazes me and I always feel like I'm a couple laps behind! Your comments have inspired me to read more about the ipad...but hey, I still don't have an iPhone yet!
I am still a book lover and now an avid library user. I just received Ed Kennedy's memoir, True Compass.
My thoughts are: I like to underline many things and then reread them. Also, I like to pass on a good book. Can you underline on a Kindle?
Love, Mom

Garrett said...

Mother, what do the librarians say about all those books you underline?

Yes the Kindle has something called "my notes and marks" You can bookmark anything, make notes on anything, and it's backed up forever. In addition to this, the Kindle has a built in dictionary....you can navigate to any word on the screen and the definition will appear. It is also lighter then most all physical books, and easier to hold. The display is perfectly flat and the text clear and easy to see. You can also make the font smaller or larger.

No you can't loan the book after you are done.

Paula said...

Okay, I am hooked and would love to try it out on a trial basis! I like that it will bookmark and has a built-in dictionary for all those words I am too lazy to look up! I have to first get my iPhone. Ha!

Garrett said...

Brett your first comment should be "well la de freakin da! We got ourselves a writer!". :)

Let Freedom Ring said...

Congratulations, Garrett!! Great job! Very exciting.

Love ya, Susan

Brett said...

...sorry Dad, I don't see so good... is that Bill Shakespeare we got here?

Garrett said...

Matt...we encourage his writing.....

Dad I wish you would shut your big YAPPER!!

Brett said...

Dad do me a favor...

...AND SHUT YOUR YAPPER!

Grandma Dee said...

Ooh, la, la! A published writer you are!

I have an Amazon gift card for $50 and maybe I will consider using it on a Kindle. Or, should I say on an iPad? Which do you think I should do, oh, wise one? Don't you figure that the next generation iPad will come out with the e-ink option as a competitor to the Kindle?

Congrats!

Garrett said...

Will the next ipad have e ink? Nope...

Brett said...

Hey Gar, just an update. Grab Bag is down to 99 cents in the Kindle Store now... a more tempting deal for the loyal following...